Cross filtering between multiple panels in Grafana

Introduction

Regularly, people are asking about how to implement cross filtering between multiple panels within the same Grafana dashboard.

Map Panel vs. Graph Panel

Introduction

@wtf just asked again about how we could implement cross filtering between a regular Graph Panel and the Panodata Map Panel for Grafana.

Thoughts

He would like to use a Graph Panel as a slider control element in order to interactively apply a filter on the selected timestamp to the markers displayed within one or multiple Map Panels on the same Grafana Dashboard.

1 Like

GitHub - dc-js/dc.js: Multi-Dimensional charting built to work natively with crossfilter rendered with d3.js has a nice example of cross-filtering between map and graph. See also dc.js - US Venture Capital Landscape 2011.

Wait, wait … I like to highlight that these two requirements might be similar, but different on what should happen in the background:

My thoughts are based on the “shared tooltip”-function; so I want already in the dashboard loaded data (from a time-series) to be displayed in a single-point-in-time-display-panel (map or single-stat), depending on the hovered moment-in-time from one of the other panels.

The discussion I get here seems to imply that the interaction with a panel will result in a new request against the database.

1 Like